Hi to all Nippers Parents and welcome to week 19 of the Nippers Season.
As most other clubs are winding up their Nippers Season we still have a few weeks left until Presentation Day on March 23rd.
The week that was:
Officially last week was the last week of points scoring when we wrapped up the Junior Club Champs, and what a day of Champions it turned out to be !!!
It was a surreal moment when standing on the start line I saw the level of enthusiasm exude from the competitors as they headed off into the water for the swim.
If there was a moment when it became evident as to why I took on the role this year …. it was that moment.
To be a part of watching the development of the young folks and their surf skills during the year culminate in such a brilliant display of courage and sportsmanship was a very rewarding moment and one that should make all parents, competitors and Age Managers proud.
Also a Huge Good Luck shout out to Tylah Price and Monique Hore who are bravingthe elements at the State Carnival at Ocean Beach Umina this weekend.
Last week Mia Besley from the U11’s approached me with a brilliant idea about having a “Bring a Friend to Nippers Day” …it was one of those ” I wished I had thought of that” moments because it was exactly what is needed to promote the club for next year.
I have put in the Nippers Calendar March 9th to declare it officially as ” Bring a Friend to Nippers Day”….
The day is designed so that your friends can experience a day on the beach, doing activities such as having a go on a Nippers board or learning how to catch a wave (all within the safety of the Flags area) , then competing in beach events such as the “tug of war” or flags.
So if you have friends that you think would enjoy a day on the beach and would like to share with them the fun you have at Narrabeen then March 9th is the day….we may even get a thong throw organised as well !!
Feel free to give myself feedback on events you would like to see in the future…so thanks again Mia.
Planning for Next Season:
In order to plan for next year I need to sow a few seeds with Parents now about taking up roles within the club and assisting with events such as carnivals and the weekly running of Nippers.
I am breaking the tasks down into bite size roles and encourage all to think about how they can assist next season.
There are many roles to chose from such as:
- Water Safety (must hold a current Bronze Medallion)
- Age Managers (you don’t have to have any qualifications other than enthusiasm and a willingness to get involved)
- Beach Setup and pack up each week.( This is to assist Paul and takes about 30 minutes each week)
- BBQ Roster Coordinator ( this is to manage the weekly staffing of the BBQ and send out reminders )
- BBQ setup and pack up.( this takes about 15 minutes to complete each process)
- BBQ chefs ( I am hoping to get this down to only 1 rostered morning next season for parents)
- Carnival Coordinator ( manage the parents and competitors for the 4 carnivals during the year, complete competitor registrations on line, approx 2 hours each carnival)
- Carnival Team Managers ( needs to be a parent of a competitor and attend the carnivals to rally the age groups and make sure competitors get to events).
- Carnival Officials ( an official qualification and course will be offered) the number of club officials we supply determines the number of competitors the club can enter ( 1 official for 10 competitors). This is the major factor that determines the number of entrants we can submit in a carnival.
- Point Scorer. Tallies up the points score each week and updates a spreadsheet ( allow 1 hour per week).
BBQ Roster for this week:
I am going to reduce the number of parents required for the next few remaining weeks.
Weather for Sunday March 2nd:
A little bit of cloud and a nice 24 degrees …just another great Sunday at Narrabeen.
See you on the Beach.